We hate spam and only email you when we have something worth sharing.
Powerball Tips from a 7-Time Lottery Winner
By Brodey Sheppard - February 04, 2016
Most people have fantasised about winning Powerball. Who could resist the thought of swimming in a pool of cash and having all the money you need to travel the world and buy your dream house and car?
While most of us never get to see such unbelievable amount of money, there are actually select individuals who get to live their fantasy—like Tennessee-based John and Lisa Robinson who recently won Powerball.
That is why it is good to know that there are methods you can use to help you win Powerball.
Richard Lustig is considered as one of the “luckiest” people in the US after winning a total of seven lottery grand prizes.
While most people would credit Lustig’s winnings to sheer luck, the Florida-based drummer-turned-author claims that he won due to a strategy he perfected through trial and error.
According to Lustig, he was like everybody else who buys haphazardly without a plan or a method. Moreover, like everybody else, he was losing all the time.
After realizing that there had to be a way to increase his chances of winning, Lustig started to take notes every time something worked. He eventually developed a “formula” that worked for him and for other people.
Here’s the list of Lustig’s Powerball tips as well as other lottery strategies that worked for past winners:
- Avoid using “quick-pick” numbers from a store’s computer. Lustig shared, “Every time you buy a quick pick, you get a different set of numbers; therefore, your odds are always going to be at their worst in that particular game, whatever game you’re playing. In this case, the hype, of course, is all about the Powerball right now.”
- Choose numbers beyond birthdays. When you choose birth months and dates, you are limiting yourself to less than half the numbers available. Lustig noted, “If you pick your own numbers and only play birthdays and anniversaries, you’re splitting the pot with 20-40 people. If you spread the numbers out across the whole track, you’ll either be the only winner or will split it with only one or two people.”
- Play the same numbers repeatedly. According to Lustig, you shouldn’t switch the numbers once you’ve determined the right ones. He added, “Remember, a set of numbers wins the grand prize, not individual numbers.” Lustig noted that you can repeat a number or two, but remember to have mostly different groups of numbers to increase your odds.
- Follow winning numbers. Keep track of “hot numbers” that have appeared several times throughout a specific game. You can also count out “cold numbers” or ones that haven’t shown up in a while. (Check through the sidebar on our HitYah site to view the hot and cold numbers of various Powerball lotteries worldwide. There are specific stats here for US Powerball, Australian Powerball and EuroMillions, as well as many others.)
- Routinely play. Lustig said, “Never miss a drawing in the game you’re playing. Every Saturday, every Wednesday, every week.”
- Know the odds, but recognize your limits. It is true that you’ll have better odds if you play more, but remember to only play within your budget. Consider the fact that playing the lottery is not a regular investment. Lustig said, “Set a budget of what you’re going to spend. Do not get caught up in what’s called lottery fever. Don’t spend grocery money. Don’t spend rent money. Figure out what you can afford to spend. Don’t worry about how much Joe Blow down the street is spending. … Figure out what your budget is, what you can comfortably afford to spend, and stay within that budget.”
Even though lotto is a game of random chance, you can still use techniques such as these to help you increase your Powerball winning odds. However, apart from the following the tips above, the best thing you can do while determining your lotto winning numbers is to have fun. Who knows, you might be the next lucky winner.